Fire destroys home in Belington

A faulty chimney has been blamed for a house fire in Belington late Wednesday night.

The fire, which began at approximately 11:30 p.m. in a home on Hall Avenue, destroyed the attic.

The rest of the home sustained extensive water and smoke damage.

“Fire fighting efforts were hampered by the weather,” said Belington Fire Chief Phil Hart. “There were two adults and two children living in the home, but no one was injured.”

Several inches of snow already had fallen prior to the fire’s start. The freezing temperatures also hampered efforts as ice built up on the firetrucks.

The Junior, Coalton, Elkins and Philippi Volunteer Fire Departments helped the Belington VFD battle the blaze.

The Belington City Police, Belington EMS and Barbour County Sheriff Department also assisted at the scene.