11 people arraigned in Barbour County Circuit Court
Eleven of 12 individuals indicted this week by a Barbour County grand jury were arraigned Wednesday before Circuit Court Judge Alan Moats.
– Shawn Steven Ware, 34, of 192 South Florida St., Buckhannon, was arraigned on an indictment returned from the February term of grand jury. He faces felony charges of first-degree sexual abuse, incest and sexual abuse by a parent, guardian or custodian for allegedly engaging in sexual intercourse with a child younger than 12 years of age and who was also a family member. The events are alleged to have occurred around April 2012, according to the indictment.
Moats ruled that Ware be placed on bond supervision and have no contact with the alleged victim or any other minors. His surety bond had been set at $25,000. Ware also said he has appointments in the upcoming week at Appalachian Mental Health in Buckhannon where he is seeking help. He pleaded innocent.
– Steven Ray Wilson, 25, of 314 South Main St., Philippi, pleaded innocent to 10 counts of third-degree sexual assault and one felony conspiracy charge for allegedly engaging in sexual intercourse with a juvenile under 16 years of age. The offenses allegedly occurred between March and April of 2011 in Barbour County.
Moats ruled that Wilson not be in contact with the alleged victim or any other minors. Moats set bond at $10,000.
– Darlene June Welch, 47, of 314 South Main St., Philippi, pleaded innocent to felony charges of conspiracy and sexual abuse by a guardian, custodian or person in a position of trust of a child for allegedly allowing Wilson, her son, to engage in sexual intercourse with a child less than 16 years of age in her care, custody or control between March and April of 2011.
Welch’s attorney, Roger Curry, asked for authorization to access her medical records. Moats noted that Welch appeared to have trouble focusing and keeping her eyes open during her arraignment. She appeared to misunderstand some questions that Moats asked of her. Curry said she had provided him with a list of at least 20 medications she was taking for a variety of illnesses.
Moats granted permission for Curry to access the medical record. He ruled that Welch not have contact with any minors. She remains free on a $10,000 bond.
– Olen Lee Vandevender, Jr., 40, of 115 Dayton Boulevard, Belington, pleaded innocent to a felony charge of failing to register as a sex offender or provide a notice of registration changes. He was placed on bond supervision and ordered not to have contact with any minors. He is free on a $10,000 personal recognizance bond.
– Lori Ann Daugherty, 33, of Route 1, Box 279D, Philippi, pleaded innocent to a felony charge of child neglect creating the risk of injury.
Prosecuting Attorney Leckta Poling asked that Daugherty’s $5,000 cash or surety bond be revoked. Moats ordered that Daugherty be returned to jail upon learning that she had left a 10-day substance abuse rehabilitation program after participating for five days. She admitted to having illegal drugs in her system.
– Tiffany Amanda Mauller, 29, of Route 1, Box 279D, Philippi, also pleaded innocent on a felony count of child neglect creating risk of injury. She was described as the companion of Daugherty.
Her $5,000 surety bond was revoked, and Moats ordered that she be placed in the regional jail and in the Community Corrections program.
– Larry Junior Dewitt II, 42, of 4401 River Road, Morgantown, pleaded innocent to a felony charge of malicious wounding. He allegedly left his victim in the middle of a roadway at night following a drug altercation where he reportedly asked the alleged victim to buy him crack cocaine, according to Poling. Dewitt is free on a $5,000 bond.
– Anick Lynn Kennedy, 20, of Philippi, pleaded innocent to felony charges of grand larceny and transferring stolen property.
Moats ruled that Kennedy is to have no contact with the alleged victim and that he is not to travel to Morgantown where he admitted to using drugs with a group of friends. He remains free on a $25,000 bond.
– Mark Lane Golden, 43, of Route 4, Box 204A, Philippi, was indicted on a felony charge of cultivating marijuana.
Moats ordered that Golden not possess a weapon while his case is pending. He is out of jail on a $5,000 personal recognizance bond.
– Greg Richard Hilling, 37, of 1220 Summer School Road, Morgantown, pleaded innocent to one felony charge of third-offense, driving with a revoked license while allegedly under the influence of alcohol. Although he has violated the terms of his parole, Moats allowed him to remain out of jail on a $5,000 personal recognizance bond.
– James Daren Nestor, 62, of 850 West Main St., Apartment 119, Grafton, pleaded innocent to a charge of third-offense, driving while under the influence of alcohol. His personal recognizance bond was set at $10,000.
– The arraignment of Julian Anthony Scardina, 36, of 217 Edison St., Nutter Fort, was continued until March 6. He is facing felony charges of breaking and entering and grand larceny.
Contact Melissa Toothman by email at email@example.com