North Korea’s threats spur local reaction
Local residents offered a variety of views and suggestions Monday about North Korea’s increasingly hostile statements about South Korea and the U.S.
Recent U.N. sanctions prompted a North Korean newspaper to issue the announcement that the country has cancelled the 1953 Korean Armistice Agreement. This announcement made by the country’s main newspaper Rodong Sinmun, according to the Associated Press, is coming off the heels of threats made from Pyongyang toward the U.S.
The AP reported last week that North Korea vowed to launch a pre-emptive nuclear attack on Washington, and that North Korea’s Army Gen. Kang Pyo Yong said the city would be “engulfed in a sea of fire.”
Residents of Randolph County weighed in Monday with their thoughts on the threats from Pyongyang and what action should be taken by Washington.
Ron Bodkins, of Montrose, said he believes the threats are credible.
“I think the threats are substantial,” he said. “The leader of North Korea is definitely his father’s son.”
When asked what action the U.S. should take against the threats, Bodkins said he feels leadership is important.
“North America needs to provide leadership and direction,” he said. “The U.S. is showing a weak front, militarily.”
In contrast, Becky Ashburn, of Elkins, said aggression is not the answer.
“I don’t think military force solves anything,” she said. “I think we should be talking first. Weapons should be the last resort.”
Dick Shelton, of Elkins, was vocal about his opinion that the U.S. should leave military or diplomatic action to other countries.
“I think the U.S. should mind their own business,” he said.
When asked who should step up to the plate, Shelton said China and South Korea could fill the role.
“The Chinese have power,” he said. “Let them deal with it.”
Contact Casey Houser by email at email@example.com.