Police make progress in Judy case

State police are calling on the community to help crack a case that’s remained cold since Nov. 12, 2009.

That’s the day when 39-year-old Pam Judy’s burned body was discovered in her black Chevrolet Colorado truck at Little Black Fork in the Monongahela National Forest.

More than three-and-a-half years later, the death of Judy – an Elkins resident who co-owned the court reporting business Cole and Judy Reporting – remains a mystery.

But police say it may not stay that way forever.

The investigating officer in the case, Cpl. K.A. Corley with the Elkins detachment of the West Virginia State Police, is working on following what he’s described as “fresh leads.” He says those leads have surfaced as a result of citizens calling the detachment in response to a November Inter-Mountain article on the three-year anniversary of Judy’s death.

“We’ve had numerous calls in response to that article that have helped with our investigation,” Corley told The Inter-Mountain Wednesday. “We have other leads that we hadn’t had knowledge of before – fresh leads, I guess you could say.

“We encourage the community to continue to contact us with any information they may have regarding this case,” Corley added.

So what do police know about the day Judy died?

She reportedly logged off her home computer at 10:48 a.m., climbed in her black Chevy Colorado truck and left her home, which was located along Mountainview Drive in the Lower Oak Grove addition of Elkins. She was spotted in her truck at Parrack’s Nationwide Insurance on Harrison Avenue in Elkins at approximately 11:30 a.m.

However, between 11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. – when a hunter called the Randolph County E-911 Center to report a truck burning in a remote area of the Monongahela National Forest – virtually nothing is known about Judy’s whereabouts.

Who she saw, where she went or what happened to her in that 90-minute time period are questions Corley hopes to answer with the help of the local community. The officer says the case hasn’t been classified as a murder or a suicide.

“It’s still undetermined, and the reason it’s undetermined is because the (state) medical examiner’s office has deemed the cause of death undetermined,” Corley said. “In terms of knowing if it’s a suicide or murder, I can’t speculate.

“But we’re working on this, and we encourage the community to contact us as much as they can,” he said.

Anyone with any information is asked to call Corley at 304-637-0200.

Contact Katie Kuba by email at kkuba@theintermountain.com.