Elkins man charged with malicious assault

An Elkins man remained incarcerated Wednesday after allegedly slicing his brother’s arm with a piece of glass Tuesday night.

Vincent Nermiah Brady, 31, was charged with one felony count of malicious assault following a physical altercation with his brother, George Brady, that was reportedly prompted by a prank phone call.

According to the criminal complaint in the Randolph County Magistrate Clerk’s office, Patrolman M.J. Sigley and Cpl. C.D. Cross with the Elkins Police Department were dispatched to an apartment located in the 100 block of Lough Street to respond to a reported domestic dispute at 10 p.m. Tuesday.

Witnesses at the residence told the officers that George Brady had allegedly suffered injuries after being assaulted by his brother, Vincent Brady, and was currently being treated at Davis Memorial Hospital.

Sigley and Cross went to the hospital to secure written statements from George Brady and two female witnesses who were also at the hospital. The statements indicated Vincent Brady became angry over a prank phone call he received earlier that evening.

“Vincent was angry about the prank call and was screaming at everyone inside the apartment so George (Brady) walked out onto the balcony so he could talk with his father (on the phone),” Sigley wrote in the complaint. However, Vincent Brady allegedly followed his brother out to the balcony, continuing to scream at him.

George Brady then walked back inside and held the door shut so his brother couldn’t re-enter the apartment. At that point, Vincent Brady allegedly punched the window with his fist and “broke it out,” the complaint states.

Vincent Brady subsequently entered the apartment and, wielding a piece of broken glass from the door window, “swung it at George and sliced his arm,” witnesses told Sigley and Cross.

The officers arrested Vincent Brady and transported him to the Elkins Police Department for processing.

Magistrate George M. Riggleman set bond at $25,000 cash or surety; as of presstime, Vincent Brady remained in the Tygart Valley Regional Jail.

The penalty for a conviction of malicious assault is imprisonment for two to 10 years in the state penitentiary.

Contact Katie Kuba by email at kkuba@theintermountain.com