Bond revoked by judge in DUI case

Judge Jaymie Godwin Wilfong revoked the bond of an Elkins man who pleaded guilty to two DUI-related charges Wednesday in Randolph County Circuit Court, sending him to jail pending his sentencing hearing.

Dylan Raymond Basil, 23, pleaded guilty to one misdemeanor count of second-offense driving under the influence and one misdemeanor count of driving with a license revoked for DUI.

Basil was charged in January with third-offense DUI and grand larceny, both felonies, following an incident in which he allegedly took a vehicle parked in front of a residence in the 200 block of Fourth Street in Elkins and drove it while having a blood alcohol content more than three times the legal limit.

“There also was a companion case for grand larceny for the automobile the defendant was operating,” said Randolph County Prosecuting Attorney Michael Parker. “After consulting with the investigating officer on that case and after consulting with the alleged victim, the facts from that case have moved to the wayside as well. The victim did not wish to pursue charges.”

Parker said the grand larceny charge was dismissed without prejudice at the request of the victim earlier this year.

Wilfong asked Basil to describe what he did that made him guilty of second-offense DUI.

“I got into a car and drove when I was very intoxicated,” Basil said. “I had Canadian Mist and a lot of beer to drink.”

“Do you have one prior conviction of driving under the influence?” Wilfong asked.

“I do,” Basil replied.

“I presume that when you got pulled over for DUI in January that you did not have a valid license,” Wilfong said.

“Right,” Basil replied.

“Had that been revoked for DUI?” Wilfong asked.

“Correct,” Basil replied.

“Did you know that?” Wilfong questioned.

“I did,” Basil replied.

“What were you doing?” Wilfong asked.

“I made a bad decision at the time,” Basil said.

Basil said he is currently in college and playing on the college soccer team. He stated his soccer practices begin Aug. 1. He said he is pursuing a degree in education and will begin student teaching soon.

“What were you thinking?” Wilfong asked. “Why did you commit these crimes? Why did you make a conscious decision to drive without a license and to be so blitzed that you are three times the legal limit?

“I was at a strange time in my life,” Basil responded. “I didn’t understand quite what I was doing. My friend graduated from the Marine Academy, so it was party time.”

“It sounds like there have been several party times because you could be facing felonies,” Wilfong said. “What are you going to do to change these decisions?”

“Enough is enough,” Basil said. “Prevent drinking and change my lifestyle. Stay sober, stay in school and graduate.”

“Mr. Basil, do you have any regard for anyone else on the road?” Wilfong asked.

“I do,” Basil answered.

“You are 23, you are well-educated and very respectful and very considerate in here,” Wilfong said, “but you are going to kill somebody. What are you doing right now? Have you been drinking since January?

“I have had a few beers,” Basil answered, “but nothing excessive.”

“How can you say that you don’t have a problem with alcohol when you are still continuing to drink?” Wilfong asked.

“I have not drank liquor,” Basil said. “That is what takes me to the point where I am not responsible.”

Wilfong revoked Basil’s bond and remanded him to the custody of the Randolph County Sheriff’s Office. He will be held in the Tygart Valley Regional Jail until his sentencing hearing, set for 2 p.m. July 15.

Also in Circuit Court Wednesday, Ronald Edward Dutch, 60, of Beverly, pleaded guilty to five misdemeanor counts of assault on a governmental representative.

Dutch was arrested in October following an alleged verbal argument with his wife that escalated into a standoff between Dutch and police.

The incident began when Dutch allegedly fired shots above his residence and then began ransacking his home, which is located in the Woodland Drive Extension in the Beverly Hills subdivision, before fleeing to a wooded area. After officers spent nearly three hours attempting to coax Dutch out of the woods, he surrendered, dropping a shotgun and a rifle he was holding, and was apprehended peacefully, according to previous reports.

Wilfong accepted Dutch’s plea, and sentencing is set for 9 a.m. July 31.

Contact Beth Christian Broschart by email at