Edmond arrested for grand larceny

The 19-year-old Dailey man behind the wheel in a fatal wreck in June was arrested with another man Wednesday for allegedly scheming to steal three four-wheelers – and then conceal them along a back road in the Mill Creek area.

Cole Alexander Edmond, 19, and Nathaniel Brook Ware, 19, of Elkins, were each charged with one count of grand larceny, a felony, and one count of conspiracy, a felony, stemming from an incident that is alleged to have occurred over a two-day period, between June 11-12.

Edmond is facing an unrelated felony charge, reckless DUI causing death, for his alleged role in the death of Timothy Roger “Bo” Hornick, 15, of Mill Creek. Edmond was the driver of the Chevrolet Cavalier involved in a June 20 two-vehicle accident which resulted in Hornick’s death.

According to the criminal complaint in the Randolph County Magistrate Clerk’s office, on June 11, Senior Trooper S.E. Hevener with the Elkins detachment of the West Virginia State Police fielded a grand larceny complaint from Justin Tanner.

Tanner informed Hevener that three four-wheelers belonging to his mother and father, Jim and Helen Tanner, were missing from an outbuilding in which they had been stored, according to the complaint.

Hevener was not able to immediately locate the four-wheelers; however, several weeks later, on July 1, Hevener and Randolph County Sheriff’s Deputy M.P. Dyer got a lead in the case after speaking with Edmond and his attorney, Timothy Prentice.

Edmond reportedly told Dyer and Hevener that the stolen four-wheelers were located “near the party flat area along Possum Hollow” in Mill Creek. At about 4:30 p.m. the same day, sheriff’s deputies found the three stolen four-wheelers after learning they had been transported to a locale “down an old logging road, off a grassy path,” the complaint states.

More details were revealed two days later, on July 3, when Hevener and Dyer conducted a voluntary interview with Ware at the Randolph County Sheriff’s Office. In a written statement, Ware reportedly informed officers that on June 11, he had picked up Edmond, a juvenile identified as G.A., a juvenile identified as T.H., and another individual. The five young men then “rode around Elkins” and subsequently “went to a party, drank a little bit, and then went home,” the complaint states.

Ware said he then picked up the same four individuals a second time that evening from an undisclosed location and one of the individuals – not Edmond or the two juveniles – asked Ware if he would drop Edmond, T.H., G.A. and the fourth individual off on Shaffers Run Road “so they could steal three four-wheelers,” according to the police report. Ware said he “went down the road and parked, at which time he fell asleep,” the complaint states. Some time after he’d fallen asleep, T.H. “rode by and woke (him) up and told him to follow him.”

A short time after, four of the five individuals involved in the alleged incident met to discuss “what they were going to do with the stolen four-wheelers,” Ware told police in his statement. Ware said after a couple weeks, he learned that the four-wheelers had been moved to Possum Hollow.

Edmond is free on a $20,000 bond on the grand larceny and conspiracy charges; however, Ware was being held in the Tygart Valley Regional Jail on a $25,000 cash or surety bond as of presstime.

Edmond also made bail on the reckless DUI causing death charge after his bond was adjusted from $50,000 cash-only to $50,000 cash, property or surety during a modification hearing July 1 in Randolph County Magistrate Court. Magistrate Rob Elbon placed Edmond on home confinement and ordered him to have no contact with Hornick’s immediate family, or Devlin Cate, the driver of a pick-up truck, who was injured in the fatal June 20 wreck.

Elbon also ordered Edmond to wear an alcohol monitoring device and report to Randolph County Community Corrections for random drug testing.

The penalty for grand larceny is one to 10 years in the state penitentiary, and the penalty for felony conspiracy is one to five years in the state penitentiary and a fine of up to $10,000.

Contact Katie Kuba by email at kkuba@theintermountain.com.