Man arrested after chase

BUCKHANNON – A man who allegedly threatened to kill his niece’s fiance in early November was arrested Saturday after leading officers on a foot chase through downtown Buckhannon, police said.

After repeatedly attempting to run and hide from police in the vicinity of the Upshur County Courthouse, Joseph Harvey Cutright, 55, of Buckhannon, eventually was apprehended, police said. He was charged with brandishing a deadly weapon and fleeing no vehicle, both misdemeanors.

According to the initial complaint in the Upshur County Magistrate Clerk’s office, Cutright allegedly threatened an individual with a knife Nov. 1 on Meadow Street. The investigating officer, PFC Nicholas Caynor, noted that Cutright recently had become “more and more aggressive” toward his niece’s fiance, the victim of the threat.

During the Nov. 1 incident, Cutright allegedly attacked that individual, “grabbing ahold of him while he was attempting to place a child in a car,” the complaint states. Cutright then allegedly pulled out a knife, “held it to the (victim’s) neck” and threatened to kill him, Caynor wrote in his report. Cutright’s niece and her fiance’s father allegedly witnessed the incident.

Approximately two weeks later, Investigator T.M. Stewart of the Buckhannon Police Department spotted Cutright on Locust Street and attempted to arrest him on the warrant for brandishing a deadly weapon, according to a second complaint in the magistrate clerk’s office prepared by Stewart.

As Stewart exited his cruiser, Cutright allegedly ran up Chancery Street and ducked behind the Upshur County Commission maintenance building, where he tried to hide, the complaint states.

“I once again began to approach (Cutright) and he began to run towards (sic) the American Legion building on Kanawha Street and ran between the American Legion building and an apartment building,” Stewart wrote.

The complaint states that Cutright again attempted to hide, and when Stewart found him, Cutright started to run again, so the officer yelled “Stop, police!”

According to his complaint, Stewart then trailed Cutright as he ran behind the VFW building, through an alley and eventually into the stairwell of Whimsical Treasures, a downtown retail shop. Cutright was allegedly “attempting to gain access” to the building when Stewart caught him.

Cutright admitted to knowing he had a warrant out for his arrest and told Stewart “that he wasn’t going to jail,” the complaint states.

As of presstime, Cutright remained at the Tygart Valley Regional Jail in lieu of a $150,000 bond set by Magistrate Juanita Adams; $50,000 of the bond is cash only, and $100,000 is surety.