Official: Fatal fire started on porch

ELKINS?- Last week’s fatal fire started in a couch on the side porch of the Central Street residence, officials from the State Fire Marshal’s Office confirmed Tuesday.

Five family members – Alan Chamberlain, 29; Katie Bolgar, 11; Isabella Chamberlain, 4; Brienna Chamberlain, 2; and Alanna Chamberlain, 2 – all perished as a result of the blaze.

Officials also said Tuesday that there was no evidence the fire was intentionally set.

On Friday, in his weekly column, Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin wrote, “Investigators also suspect that a cigarette may have sparked this fire.”

The Fire Marshal’s Office would not confirm this information Tuesday, but a full report is expected later this week.

Two people remain hospitalized at the West Penn Burn Center in Pittsburgh. Jennifer Chamberlain is listed in critical condition, while her brother, Jeff Hyde, is in serious condition, hospital officials said.

Services for those killed in the fire are scheduled from 2 to 6 p.m. today at Elkins Church of God. A private service for family and friends will be held at a later date.

Fundraisers for the family continue into the weekend, with a cake walk at George Ward Elementary scheduled for 4 p.m. Saturday.

A spaghetti dinner is scheduled at First Baptist Church in Elkins on Nov. 16, with many other events still in the planning stages.