Two burglary cases continued

ELKINS – An Elkins man accused of stealing furniture and other items from a Montrose home waived his right to a speedy trial Monday in Randolph County Magistrate Court.

A preliminary hearing was continued for Lindsey Jay Studer, 42, who was arrested on one felony count of burglary on July 7. He is free on a $10,000 cash or surety bond set by Randolph County Magistrate Rob Elbon.

Items including a leather couch, a leather love seat, a television, a television stand and an air conditioner unit were taken from a home in Montrose, according to the criminal complaint. The alleged victim told West Virginia State Police Trooper S.W. Shahan that she was moving, but the items in her home came up missing July 4. She said her deep freeze and some shelves from the garage were missing as well.

The complaint noted the exterior screen door was broken and the door frame to the exterior door was broken, consistent with signs of forced entry. While interviewing a neighbor, Shahan was told a blue Ford Ranger, with furniture loaded in the back, was at the house earlier in the day. The alleged victim told Shahan she had seen an ex-boyfriend driving a vehicle that fit that description, the complaint states.

Shanan wrote that he then went to Studer’s residence and saw a leather couch, a love seat, a deep freeze and a window air conditioner. When asked, Studer said the victim gave the items to him and that he gained entry to the alleged victim’s resident through the front door because it was unlocked. Studer turned over the alleged stolen items when the officer informed him the items were reported stolen, according to the complaint.

Also in Randolph County Magistrate Court on Monday:

– A hearing for Christopher Guy Ross, 36, of Valley Bend, was continued.

Ross was arrested on April 27 on one felony count of burglary and is free on a $10,000 cash or surety bond set by Randolph County Magistrate George M. “Mike” Riggleman.

State police officials received a complaint from a man on March 24, who advised he “went home for lunch and he noticed that the chain on his back door was hanging… broken,” according to the criminal complaint.

West Virginia State Trooper J.B. Tindal, the investigating officer who also wrote the complaint, wrote the man “began searching his residence to see if he had any items missing” and he eventually “noticed that a white five-gallon bucket filled with copper had been taken.” He told Tindal he “went to Elkins Iron & Metal and discovered that the missing copper had been sold to them earlier that morning,” the complaint reads.

The man said he got the copper from working at Davis Memorial Hospital and he “was able to identify the copper as his because he had cut it himself to special lengths,” the complaint states.

Later that afternoon, Tindal was able to locate and obtain the copper at Elkins Iron & Metal, where an employee told him a male subject sold it earlier in exchange for $42, according to the criminal complaint.

A friend of Ross told Tindal that earlier Ross had asked if he could sell the copper for him because he left his identification in Parsons, the complaint reads. The man said he rode with Ross to Elkins Iron & Metal, saying he didn’t know the copper was stolen.