Arrest made in church break-in


ELKINS — An Elkins man is facing felony charges and is accused of breaking into an area church and then fleeing while in custody.

Joshua Ray Boyd, 26, is charged with one felony count of breaking and entering and one felony count of escape from custody. He is incarcerated at Tygart Valley Regional Jail on a $50,000 cash-only bond, set by Randolph County Magistrate George M. “Mike” Riggleman.

According to a criminal complaint filed in Randolph County Magistrate Court, on Aug. 19, Patrolman A.M. Wyshyvanuk, of the Elkins Police Department, responded to the Davis Memorial Presbyterian Church, in Elkins, regarding a robbery complaint.

The alleged victim showed Wyshyvanuk several offices in the church that were in “complete disarray,” as well as two cash boxes that appeared to have been broken into. He added he believed the basement door had been left unlocked and ajar, police said.

Wyshyvanuk noted in the report that the doorjamb to one of the offices appeared to have screwdriver marks and the glass was removed from the door.

Wyshyvanuk took photographs of the scene and took three fingerprint samples, all of which were mailed to the West Virginia State Police crime laboratory, the complaint states.

Roughly 10 days later, Wyshyvanuk received a report back from the WVSP that indicated a thumb print on one of the cash boxes matched a sample belonging to Boyd. Additionally, an employee of DMPC told Wyshyvanuk that Boyd would not have had any reason to access the cash box, according to the complaint.

A separate criminal complaint filed in Randolph County Magistrate Court states that, at approximately 7 a.m. on Sept. 10, Patrolman T.C. Bennett, also of the EPD, was processing Boyd at Elkins City Hall when he fled from the building on foot.

Bennett, along with Cpl. M.J. Sigley and Patrolman D.E. Gidley, also of EPD, attempted to locate Boyd but were unsuccessful, the complaint states. A warrant was issued for Boyd at that time, which led to his arrest Friday.