Decorated general buried in Arlington National Cemetery

A Belington native who distinguished himself with his lifelong service to his country was laid to rest May 14 in Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Va.

Brigadier General Henry Glenn Watson, U.S. Army retired, 83, departed this life Feb. 13, 2014, in the West Virginia Veterans Nursing Facility in Clarksburg.

Watson was born Aug. 9, 1930, at Cookville, Tenn., a son of the late James A. and Lennie Ethel (Howard) Watson.

He was united in marriage April 21, 1952, to Barbara Jean Thompson, who survives at their home in Belington.

Also surviving are two daughters, Glenda Lewis and husband, Mark, and Beverly

Watson.

Mr. Watson graduated South High School, received a Bachelor of Arts from Akron University and went on to serve our country in the United States Army, May 1955. Mr. Watson retired with an Honorable Discharge July 1984 as a Brigadier General. Watson was highly decorated with honors that include: Legion of Merit/1st Oak Leaf Cluster, Distinguished Flying Cross “1”, Bronze Star Medal W/ “V” 3rd Oak Leaf Cluster, Meritorious Service Medal W/1st Oak Leaf Cluster, Air Medal W/7th Oak Leaf Cluster, Army Commendation Medal W/5th Oak Leaf Cluster, Purple Heart, Meritorious Unit Citation, Army Occupation Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Vietnam Service Medal W/2nd Oak Leaf Cluster, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Army Service Ribbon, Overseas Service Ribbon “1”, Vietnam Campaign Medal, Combat Infantryman Badge, Expert Infantryman Badge, Parachute Badge, and a General Staff Identification Badge.

Michael W. Talbott, Funeral Director of Talbott Funeral Home in Belington, and Marshal Reed, funeral home attendant, accompanied Watson’s flag draped casket to Arlington, where full military rites were conducted including a horse drawn caisson which carried Mr. Watson to his final resting place. There he was also afforded a Gun and Cannon salute.

Soldiers of the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard) helped lay to rest Brigadier General Henry Glenn Watson in Arlington National Cemetery on May 14, 2014. Affectionately known as the “Father of the Fife and Drum Corps,” BG Watson, then First Lieutenant Watson, was the Corps’ first Platoon Leader and Officer in Charge. The graveside service was conducted by Chaplain Thomas B. Vaughn Jr. US Army MDV.