The Randolph County Courthouse was built between 1902 and 1907 for $110,000. The 150-foot courthouse tower is the tallest structure in Elkins. The Richardsonian Romanesque-style building is constructed from stone mined at a local quarry.
The courtroom, which features a domed ceiling and stained glass, was was restored in 2003. It, along with the Randolph County Jail, was added to the National Register in 1981.
The jail was built in 1910 with sandstone blocks from a local quarry near the Randolph/Tucker County line. The blocks were loaded on rail flat cars and hauled to Elkins. The jail has changed little since its construction and retains its original terra cotta tile roofing and distinctive stone turret. It no longer houses inmates on a full-time basis since the opening of the Tygart Valley Regional Jail.