The Pie Contest is returning to the 2011 Jackson's Mill Jubilee. The event is scheduled for the afternoon of Sept. 3 in the Southeast Learning Center at Jackson's Mill. Contestants are invited to enter pies between 2 and 3 p.m.; drive to the Pool Gate at Jackson's Mill to receive directions to the contest.
Judging will begin at 3 p.m. and awards will be given when the judging is complete. The remaining pie (after judges' samples are removed) will be returned to the contestant at the awards ceremony. Ribbons and cash prizes will be awarded.
Contest rules are:
1. Pie fillings must have a West Virginia product (fruit, nut or vegetable) as the main ingredient.
2. Pie fillings must be made from fresh, home preserved or home frozen ingredients; commercially canned pie fillings will not be accepted.
3. Crusts may be either home prepared or commercially prepared.
4. Custard pies or pies containing any ingredient requiring constant refrigeration (such as cream cheese, whipped topping, etc.) will not be accepted due to lack of refrigeration at the contest site.
5. There will be three divisions:
Adult (18 and older) - Single Crust Pie
Adult (18 and older) - Double Crust Pie
Youth Division (younger than 18) - Single or Double Crust Pie.
6. One copy of the recipe used must be submitted with each pie.
7. An individual contestant may enter up to two pies per category.
8. The decisions of the judges are final.
The contest is sponsored by Jenny Garton Insurance Agency Inc., representing State Farm insurance in Weston. Prizes also have been donated by Lesaffre Yeast Corp. of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, distributors of Red Star Yeast products. For additional information, call Linda Schmidt at 304-269-5755.