Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | Home RSS

911 tapes from day of disappearance released

October 6, 2011
By John Clise - Special to The Inter-Mountain , The Inter-Mountain

Tapes of frantic calls to Lewis County 911 dispatchers following the Sept. 24 disappearance of Aliayah Lunsford, 3, of Weston, were released to the media Tuesday.

Her mother, Lena Lunsford, called 911 to report Aliaya was missing, and she said she had been looking for her for over an hour, according to the 911 recordings.

Lena Lunsford reported to the dispatcher the last time she had seen Aliayah Lunsford was "real early this morning." Lena Lunsford was checking on her daughter because she reported the girl being ill with the flu on the 911 tape.

It was also reported on the recordings the doors were not open. When asked by dispatchers if the doors were locked, Lena Lunsford said, "yes, I think," on the tape.

Lena Lunsford reported laying back down after checking on her daughter and said she believes three of her five children came into her room about 7 a.m., though she wasn't sure of the time and got in bed with her, she said in the call to 911. She reported her son was not home because he was on visitation with his father.

When asked if she had called her mother to see if she had Aliayah Lunsford, Lena Lunsford said she had not called her and said, "I need to do that."

At this point, the dispatcher told Lena Lunsford to hang up and call her mother to see if she had the child and then to call back.

After calling 911 back, Lena Lunsford reported her mother did not have the child and conformed she had checked the house and vehicles outside for her daughter. Lena Lunsford also confirmed during the call Aliayah Lunsford was tall enough to reach the door handle.

After getting a description of Aliayah Lunsfordfrom her mother, the dispatcher released her to speak with a police officer that had just arrived on the scene.

The investigation into Aliayah Lunsford's disappearance has now been classified as a criminal act. Federal, state and local law enforcement officers said the crime could range from homicide to kidnapping to concealment.

They have gathered evidence and have moved their headquarters to the state police barracks in Weston.

In the week following Aliayah Lunsford's disappearance, thousands of volunteers combed the neighborhood, while divers searched the West Fork River.

The community overwhelmingly supported the search-and-rescue operation by bringing food and drinks to the staging area at the Bendale United Methodist Church.

The search has been called off, and law enforcement officers are no longer seeking help with the effort.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web