Trick or treating is a Halloween staple for children of all ages, and this year is no exception with participating downtown businesses - including The Inter-Mountain - set to give away goodies from 5 to 6 this evening.
Lt. S.D. Richards of the Elkins City Police said that while this is a fun time of year, safety always should be a priority.
"When people are going to be out in the streets, particularly children, it's important for everyone to be patient and mindful of others," Richards said, urging both motorists and pedestrians to exert caution.
"Also, drivers should be extra alert and patient as they drive during trick or treat," Richards said. "We realize this is a holiday, but it is important to keep traffic down (to a minimum)."
He also advises all children to trick or treat with an adult, and for parents or guardians to supervise and remain with children at all times during these holiday outings. Children also should walk on sidewalks and not run in or across streets, he said.
Further, Richards said children should dress appropriately for the cooler weather and maintain some kind of visibility at all times. He indicated the latter could be accomplished through the use of reflective gear, lightsticks or flashlights.
Richards advised that even though Halloween and the days leading up to it are a time for fun, people should not get carried away.
"There is never an excuse for alcohol or drug use for something like this," he said. "Children under 18 should understand that they still need to abide by the (city) curfew at 11 p.m."
In addition to this evening's trick-or-treat times, others are scheduled as follows:
- Elkins, 6 to 7:30 p.m., Thursday;
- Mill Creek, 6 to 8 p.m., Thursday;
- Huttonsville, 6 to 8 p.m., Thursday;
- Belington, 6 to 7:30 p.m., Thursday;
- Coalton, 6 to 7:30 p.m., Thursday;
- Beverly, 6 to 7:30 p.m., Thursday;
- Buckhannon, 6 to 7 p.m., Thursday;
- Philippi, 5:30 to 7 p.m., Thursday;
- Weston, 6 to 7 p.m., Saturday;
- Parsons, 6 to 8 p.m., Saturday;
- Marlinton, 5 to 7 p.m., Thursday;
- Montrose, 6 to 8 p.m., Thursday;
- Junior, 6 to 7:30 p.m., Thursday;
- Moorefield, 6 to 8 p.m., Thursday;
- Petersburg, 6 to 8 p.m., Thursday;
- Franklin, 5 to 6:45 p.m., Thursday;
- Davis, 6 to 8 p.m., Thursday; and
- Harman, 6 to 8 p.m., Thursday.
Contact Chad by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.