DAVIS - This winter will be the first full season of use for an outdoor conveyor that takes people up the slopes at Canaan Valley Resort State Park.
The Magic Carpet equipment is in use at both the tubing park and the downhill ski access area.
In early 2013, the resort opened a new 1,200-foot, eight-lane, tubing park and a new beginner's ski area and downhill ski upgrades.
"The Magic Carpet brings another mobile experience to winter recreation," said Dave Vance, ski area assistant manager at Canaan Resort. "Winter recreation just keeps getting better at Canaan Valley. The tubing park is awesome, and the response from visitors last winter about the beginners ski area and slope access was excellent."
The slopes at Canaan Valley opened Dec. 14.
Winter sports experiences at Canaan Valley Resort and Conference Center include:
- A covered outdoor ice skating rink overlooking the valley and the Allegheny Mountains. The rink, located behind the main lodge building, features an outdoor fireplace.
- An indoor heated pool, whirlpool spa, fitness center, and sauna. Guests in the lodge, cabins and cottages enjoy these facilities as part of the overnight experience, and the facilities are open to the public for a nominal fee.
- Thirty kilometers of marked, un-groomed trails and acres of wide-open meadows open for cross-country skiing and snowshoeing. There are no trail fees for cross-country or snowshoeing.
- The new tubing park, the longest in the Mid-Atlantic region. It includes rentals, warming hut, concessions and fireplace. The tubing park with the Magic Carpet mountaintop access is destined to become one of the resort's most popular outdoor winter activities. The tubing park ticket prices include the tube and Magic Carpet ride.
- A beginner ski slope with a dedicated ski school teaching area and the Magic Carpet.
- Downhill skiing slopes with a summit of 4,280 feet and a vertical drop of 850 feet. Forty-three trails make up the downhill ski experience. An average natural snowfall of 180 inches is typical of winter conditions in the Tucker County area.
More than 30 percent of the terrain at Canaan Valley is dedicated to beginners, and Timber Trail is a guest favorite (1.25 miles long). Critters Crawl for beginners was added to the ski area in 2013 and includes a "magic carpet."
The remaining trails cater to intermediate skiing (40 percent) and advanced/expert (30 percent). Canaan Valley features three lifts: 1 quad and 2 triples, plus two Magic Carpet transports.
- Rentals, concessions and ticket sales for downhill skiing at the Bear Paw complex. Rentals include ski equipment and snowboard rentals.
Tube rentals are at the Tubing Park area.
Cross-country skis and snowshoe rentals are available at the XC Ski Center near the state park office.
More information about the resort, can be obtained by calling 304-866-4121 or visiting www.canaanresort.com.