Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | Home RSS
 
 
 

Christmas Eve fire severely damages Belington house

December 26, 2013
By Beth Christian Broschart - Staff Writer , The Inter-Mountain

BELINGTON - A house built less than one month ago received extensive fire, smoke and heat damage Tuesday when it caught fire at approximately 3:30 p.m.

Firefighters from Belington, Junior, Philippi and Elkins worked to put out the blaze, which authorities said started in a wood burner in the

basement.

Article Photos

The Inter-Mountain photo by Beth Christian Broschart
Firefighters from Belington, Junior, Philippi and Elkins help extinguish a house fire on Judson Street in Belington Tuesday at approximately 3:30 p.m. EMS and police officers from Belington also assisted at the scene.

"The fire then extended to an enclosed chimney area, and then followed the chimney to the roof area," Phil Hart, Belington's fire chief, said. "The blaze was contained to the basement and one side of the home. The rest of the interior of the home received heavy heat and smoke damage."

Hart said there were no injuries and no one was at home when the fire started. He said the home was owned by Brett and Kristin Howell.

"The couple have two small children." Hart said. "Firefighters were able to save the children's Christmas presents."

Hart said the home was equipped with working smoke detectors. He said the blaze was reported by neighbors.

Firefighters from Beverly assisted by covering the Belington Fire Station.

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web