The village of Helvetia will celebrate Fasnacht Saturday, March 1. Fasnacht is the Swiss equivalent of Mardi Gras in New Orleans or Carnivale in Rio. It is a time of celebration before the beginning of Lent.
In Switzerland, it takes place on Fat Tuesday the day before Ash Wednesday; however, in Helvetia, locals traditionally host the festivities the Saturday prior to Ash Wednesday.
The Helvetia Restoration and Development Org. sponsors this event.
The schedule of events is as follows:
- 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., Helvetia Mask Museum and General Store are open in the Kultur Haus Helvetia.
- 3-8 p.m., Open mic at Star Band (Red) Hall.
- 11 a.m. to 8 p.m., Sampler Plate served all day at the Hutte Restaurant.
- 8:30-8:45 p.m., Lampion (candlelight) parade at Star Band Hall to Community Hall.
- 8:45-9 p.m., Judging costumes with prizes at the Community Hall.
- 9 p.m. to midnight., Masked Ball at the Community Hall.
- 12 -1 a.m., Burning Old Man Winter outside the Community Hall.
The admission charge for the dance is $10 for adults and $5 for children of ages 17 to 11. Children 10 and younger will not be charged. The dance will begin with the costume judging. Music will be provided by the Helvetia Star Band.