THOMAS - Those with no plans for the July 4 weekend can fill their calendars with activities by visiting Thomas, in Tucker County, where officials are offering many patriotic celebrations.
The Thomas Volunteer Fire Department will host a cakewalk and hot dog sale. along with selling T-shirts and mugs, from 4 to 8 p.m. Friday.
On Saturday, Mountaineer Days will kick off with a 1K and 5K Walk and Roll for Life. The event begins at the M&M Bank Lot. At 10 a.m., craft and vendor booths open on the railroad grade, as well as a patriotic bicycle decorating contest. Other events include: at 11 a.m., a parade will begin on Quail Ridge Drive; at 1 p.m., a cakewalk and firefighter water battle will be fought; Holly Ash will provide music at 4 p.m.; "Elvis" will appear at 6:30 p.m.; the Last Chance Band will play at 8 p.m.; and at dark a fireworks display will be held.
On Sunday, the Thomas Fire Department will sponsor a pancake breakfast from 8 a.m. to noon.
The Windfest at Canaan Valley Resort & Conference Center offers residents and those visiting Tucker County a tremendous amount of activities.
On Friday from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., folks can hike to Bald Knob. The adventure begins at Bear Paw Gift Shop, where a scenic chairlift ride ticket can be purchased. At the top of the mountain, people can hike over to Bald Knob. From 1:30 to 4 p.m., stop by the Nature Center to choose a craft to make as a souvenir. Wagon rides and a marshmallow roast will take place at 5, 6 and 7 p.m. Registration can be paid for and booked at the Beech Club.
Saturday event schedule includes:
- 9 to 11:30 a.m. - Blackwater River Trail hike. Meet at the trailhead located near the golf clubhouse.
- 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. - Kite-making workshop at the New Era Kite Club.
- Noon and 3 p.m. - Jumbo kites and stunt kite demonstrations.
- 12:30 to 4 p.m. - Kid and family field day activities at the Nature Center.
- 3 p.m. - The Wheeling Symphony Orchestra will present a free concert, located at the Tube Park.
Sunday events include:
- 9 to 11:30 a.m. - Stream search at the nature center.
- 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. - Kite-building workshop at the New Era Kite club.
- Noon and 3 p.m. - Jumbo kite and stunt kite demonstrations. Additional information is available at 304-866-4121 ext 2678.
Pocahontas County is celebrating the nation's independence starting with star lab at 2 p.m. Friday at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory. Additional information is available by calling 304-456-215. Snowshoe Mountain is hosting the third annual Homegrown Music & Arts Festival. Information about activities is available by calling 877-441-4386 or online at www.snowshoemtn.com.
Petersburg, in Grant County, is hosting many Independence Day activities, including a car show and parade.
The car show begins at 10 a.m. at the Petersburg city parking lot, with the parade at 11 a.m. Free swimming at the pool begins at 1 p.m. featuring a big splash and diving contest. Additional information is available by calling 304-257-9266.
At the NIOC-Sugar Grove Navy Base, activities on Friday include giant air toys for the kids, live bands, wrestling, a children's parade and fireworks. This is the last year for this event, and sponsors encourage everyone to come out and enjoy the festivities.