Dave Defibaugh claims modified win

It was autograph night for the drivers and fans at Jenkins Ford Friday Night Thunder at Elkins Motor Speedway on Saturday.

Many of the drivers brought candy, photos, stickers and more as they handed out the items to a capacity crowd before the first green flag dropped.

In racing action, the Fast ‘N Friendly Pharmacy Modifieds were in the spotlight as the group battled for a $1,000 payday.

Jared Hawkins, who was subbing for his younger brother Jacob, and Dave Defibaugh grabbed the prelim honors.

As the green flag was unfurled, Larry Atha took a wild ride, as his car turned sideways entering turn one. Atha’s car climbed the guardrail backward and slammed into the light pole. His No. 96 machine landed with the rear wheels on the guide wire holding the light pole, but the driver was unhurt.

When the race resumed, Defibaugh blasted to the lead with Hawkins, Brent Trimble, Deana Groves and Robert Smith following. With four yellow flags waving for the first 11 circuits, Hawkins could not mount any challenge for the lead spot. With two laps to go, Defibaugh’s right rear tire began to go down, but the Teter Collision/D & B Motorsports-sponsored No. 77 held on to take the win, Defibaugh’s second of the season. Hawkins, Trimble, Groves and Phil Jeffries rounded out the Top 5.

In other action, the Jenkins Ford Super Late Models was decided on the final lap. Paul Wilmoth Jr. and Charlie George took the heat victories. After a five-car melee in turn two on the first try, Wilmoth shot to the point with George on his tail. Robbie Scott, Tim Senic and Butch McGill fell in, third through fifth. George would stay with Wilmoth, but could not mount any serious pressure. On lap three, George began to show signs of smoke as he had his hands full with Scott breathing down his neck. With a yellow flag on lap four, George continued showing smoke from the tail of the car. Wilmoth was still in command as George fended off Scott. Another caution flag flew on lap 12 when something locked up on McGill’s machine in turn four. While under caution, Wilmoth pulled off the track with a fan belt that came loose. George inherited the lead with Scott still close behind. The laps clicked off as smoke became a little more prevalent. Scott pulled even with George with the white flag waving as they raced door-to-door. With the crowd on its feet, the pair entered turns three and four welded together. As they roared to the line, George nipped Scott at the stripe just as the engine let go. On his cool down lap, George left a trail of fluid all around the 3/8-mile track. George, driving the Charlie’s Auto No. 98, said in victory lane that he “thought about shutting it off with about four to go. Actually I dropped into neutral with two to go, then put it back in gear.”

Senic, Cody Hardesty and Skip Hare finished third through fifth.

Kris Southern made his third trip to victory lane in the Budweiser FASTRAK Late Models. Southern, driving the WV Fan Zone/Local 400 UFCW No. K2, also holds the distinction that in all three of his wins, the feature reached its time limit before the full scheduled amount of laps were complete. After starting 10th, Billy Beachler finished second. Daniel Hill was third, Ron Wiles crossed the finish line fourth and Kyle Thomas, who started 21st, finished fifth.

Brian Mitchell got saved in the Miller’s Used Cars Street Stocks at the outset. Mitchell started on the pole of the finale, but broke loose in turn two, dropping significantly in the running order. Lucky for Mitchell, a spin from Mike Duritsky in turn three made for a complete restart. On the second try, Mitchell snared the front spot and held off James Nelson for the first few circuits. Jim Byers began his assent to the front as he slipped by Nelson and began to pressure Mitchell. Cautions flags fell on laps four, five, six, seven and nine, slowing action on the track. On the restart of lap nine, Mitchell slid up the surface in turns one and two leaving just enough room for Byers to slip past. Byers in his own A&P Trucking/Sprout’s Place No. 36 claimed his second checkered flag of the season. Mitchell then had to hold off a last-lap charge from Ronnie Tincher. Nelson and Robin Maxson were fourth and fifth.

In the Good Samaritan of Barbour County Mod Lites, Beau Newlon would lead flag-to-flag to collect his first win of the year. Newlon, driving the Newlon International Sales No. 52, outran Mitch Ward, Zak Kimbrew, Ryan Harris and Trey Watson.

Kimbrew was named the Leggett Racing Hard Charger.

Logan Hitt captured his third Darren’s Pizza Shack Mini Wedge checkered flag. Kaitlyn Frazier, Jackson Jacobs, Hayden Jacobs and Paige Bragg rounded out the Top 5.

For all the latest information go to www.elkinsraceway.net