Both Elkins High School soccer teams advanced Monday evening in the Region II, Section 2 semi-finals.

The second-seeded Elkins boys’ team hosted third-seeded Lewis County and blanked the Minutemen 5-0. The first-seeded girls shut out fourth-seeded Buckhannon-Upshur 3-0.

The boys were able to break through the Lewis County middle defense several times and it paid off in the 12th minute when Mason Schoonover found the net for the first score of the match.

That was followed two minutes later when Cameron Wilson took a pass from midfield, beat a defender from 20 yards out and then blasted it past Minuteman goaltender Nathan Flesher for a 2-0 lead.

Kollin Hopwood headed in a goal from 10 yards out on a pass from Ryan Henson at the 25:00 mark to close out the first period scoring.

Elkins continued to dominate play in the first part of the second period.

Henson got a goal of his own in the 57th minute when he nudged it past the goalkeeper in a crowd in front of the net.

Two minutes later Elkins was awarded a free kick and after the attempt hit the top crossbar and caromed out, Schoonover was in position and kicked in the final tally of the night for the boys’ squad.

Lewis County picked up their intensity in the last 13 minutes of the contest, trying desperately to get on the board.

Their efforts were thwarted, however, by Tigers’ goalkeeper Walter King, who had entered the game in the 55th minute.

The Elkins boys’ team will travel to Buckhannon-Upshur to face the first-seeded Bucs on Wednesday at 6 p.m. in the sectional final.

The girls’ team faced an inspired Lady Buc’s squad in the nightcap.

Both teams had chances in the first period but team defense and both goalkeepers kept the scoreboard quiet.

There was a scary moment in the 32nd minute when Buckhannon keeper Megan Wilfong looked like she was kicked in the head on a cover. She, the ball, and the Elkins attacker all reached the same place at the same time.

She was replaced by Jordan Hoover.

After a scoreless first period, Elkins’ Hailea Harper found the net at 45:00 on a cross from Olivia Underwood. It was the first shot of the second stanza.

Halfway through the period, the Tigers started winning more and more ball contests and in the 61st minute Harper struck again on an assist from Isabella Nieves.

Four minutes later, Harper broke through Buckhannon’s defense and with a clear shot blasted the ball past Hoover for her third goal of the evening.

The visitors seemed to tire and never posed a serious threat in the last 10 minutes of the contest.

“Buckhannon mixed things up tonight,” said girls’ coach Scott Cutright. “It took time to get into rhythm on offense.

“It was a good game for us and it’s nice to see Hailea finish off the season like this,” Cutright said.

The girls’ team will host Lewis County in the sectional final on Wednesday at 6 p.m. at the EHS soccer field. Lewis County defeated Hampshire 2-1 Monday evening.