Tigers coast to 40-22 win over Colts

The Inter-Mountain photo by Joey Kittle The Elkins defense, including Gabe Guire (50), closes in on Philip Barbour quarterback Jesiah Matlick Friday night at Wimer Field. Guire had two sacks on the night.

ELKINS — A strong second quarter and a dominating performance on the ground helped power Elkins to a 40-22 win over rival Philip Barbour Friday night in Big 10 Conference action at Wimer Stadium.

The Tigers (2-0), who racked up 362 yards rushing in the contest, managed just 26 yards on their first three possesions of the opening stanza. But in the second quarter, Elkins came to life and did it in a hurry. Just three minutes into the set T.J. Guire got the hosts on the board with a 3-yard scamper to make it 7-0.

After a three-and-out from the Colts (0-2), the Tigers marched 81 yards in 1:20 to take a 14-0 lead on a 50-yard sprint from Daniel Romans. The drive took just five plays.

After holding PB without a first down on the Colts’ next possession, Elkins found paydirt again when Thomas Talkington capped off an eight-play, 70-yard drive with a 5-yard touchdown run.

The Tigers, who outgained the Colts 221-44 through the first two quarters, took a comfortable 21-0 lead into intermission.

“I thought we came out and played our game in the second quarter,” said Elkins coach Evan Hott. “In the second half we kind of lost our composure and lost our heads a little bit. And that’s something we’re going to have to clean up. But overall I was pleased with our effort”

Elkins opened the second half with a six-play, 72-yard drive that resulted in a 20-yard scoring jolt from Romans.

After forcing a Philip Barbour punt, Austin Storey extended the lead to 34-0 when the caught the punt deep in his own territory and raced down the visiting sideline for an 85-yard score .

The Colts answered back on the ensuing kickoff when Damien Gonzales returned the kick for an 85-yard touchdown to cut the margin to 34-7 with 7:24 to go in the third.

With 2:16 remaining in the quarter, Philip Barbour scored again, this time on a 1-yard run from Jesiah Matlick that made it 34-14.

After pinning Elkins deep in its own end on the ensuing kickoff, a botched snap on first down led to the Colts getting a safety, which cut the hosts lead to 34-16.

After receiving the free-kick and starting on the Tigers’ 22-yard line, Chase Collier found the end zone again for the visitors on an 11-yard run, making it 34-22. Collier set up the drive with a 57-yard kickoff return.

But Elkins all but sealed the deal on their ensuing drive when Romans capped off an eight-play drive with a 41-yard touchdown run with 7:40 remaining the the contest. Romans totaled 65-yards individually during the scoring march.

“Daniel (Romans) had a hude game for us,” said Hott. “He really kicked it into another gear, especially on that last scoring drive we had. He wanted the ball and it was nice to see him run it as hard as he did.”

Romans finished the contest with 153 yards on 14 carries. Talkington followed close behind with 134 yards on 14 attempts. Chance Burdette chipped with 46 rushing yard and Guire tallied 32.

Talkington also finished with 48 yards passing.

Collier paced the Colts with 63 yards on 12 carries. Gonzales followed with 33 yards on the ground. Matlick completed 8 of 17 passes for 65 yards for Philip Barbour, which will travel to Buckhannon-Upshur next Friday.

Elkins will remain home to host Lewis County on the same evening.