Arts Center announces July classes, workshops
New classes, workshops and camps begin in July at the Randolph County Community Arts Center.
Information and descriptions about late spring and summer classes and events are available online at www.randolpharts.org.
– Multi-media ‘ARTventure’ camp – Children will explore the world of art during Ashley Cameron’s Multi-media ‘ARTventure’ camp. Campers ages 8 to 12 will be introduced to different artists and their corresponding art medium. Focusing on one medium per class, students will learn techniques in paint, pencil, watercolor, sculpting, collage, oil pastels, printmaking and mosaics.
The camp runs from noon to 4 p.m. July 15-19. The cost of the camp is $125 per student.
– Origami farm animals workshop – Join Akiko Endo in making Origami farm animals, like pigs, cows and chickens. Parents are welcome to join their children in this beginners’ workshop. The session will meet Saturday, July 20 from 10 a.m. to noon. The cost of the course is $20.
– Private guitar lessons – Classical guitarist Wayne Rowand offers private guitar lessons through the Arts Center. Lessons are open to students ages 7 through adult. Rowand will guide the student in individualized lessons structured to the student’s skill level. Topics covered include, but are not limited to, technique, musicianship, theory, improvisation, coaching and audition preparation.
Sessions are made by appointment so call for available times. Cost is $65 per month for a 30-minute weekly session.
– Slate painting workshop – Artist Paula Stahl will instruct students during a slate painting workshop. Focusing on creating a scene, students are encouraged to bring a sketchbook or image to work from. Paula will demonstrate the various techniques of slate painting before assisting students during individualized instruction.
The focus of this workshop is to create a relaxed environment where students can share ideas and techniques as well as leave with a finished slate! The session will meet Saturday, July 27 from 1 to 4 p.m. The cost of the workshop is $40.
– Figurative and character sculpting workshop – Andy Thorne will host a three-day intensive workshop titled “Introduction to Figurative and Character Sculpting.”
Open to beginners as well as experienced sculptors, the class will focus on producing a character bust. Andy will steer students in the steps necessary to refine and complete their work. Experienced sculptors are encouraged to bring their favorite tools. The sessions will run from 2 to 5 p.m. Friday, July 26 through Sunday, July 28. The cost of the workshop is $100.
– Open pottery studio -There’s still time to join the Arts Center’s “Open Pottery Studio for Teens and Adults,” on Mondays, from 5 to 8 p.m. This self-directed studio time allows participants to share ideas, techniques and good stories while working independently on projects.
Our new 1 Park Street Pottery Studio’s workspace accommodates nine potters on wheels. One bag of clay is included in tuition; additional bags are sold at $30, which include glaze and firings.
Basic pottery skills are a prerequisite. Registrants are prorated at $30 for clay plus $10 per week for the remaining weeks.
We are constantly adding new classes, camps and workshops! Visit our website, www.randolpharts.org, contact the office, 304-637-2355 or “like” us on Facebook for up-to-date events.
The Randolph County Community Arts Center, a nonprofit organization promoting and supporting the arts in Randolph County and the surrounding areas, is located at the corner of Randolph Avenue and Park Street in Elkins.