Wesleyan to host summer concert series
West Virginia Wesleyan College, in conjunction with the Governor’s School for the Arts (GSA), will be hosting a summer concert series on the College’s Buckhannon campus. During each concert, donations will be collected to benefit the sustainability of the arts in Upshur and Randolph Counties.
“Our theme this year is ‘Connecting the Arts,'” stated dean of GSA and instructor of interdisciplinary studies Jess Scott. “Connecting the creative disciplines is an intrinsic part of the design of the Governor’s School for the Arts, with its focus on interdisciplinary collaboration. However, we also want to connect the arts with the community.”
A complete listing of concerts includes:
– Monday – West Virginia Dance Company, 7:30 p.m., Virginia Thomas Law Center for the Performing Arts;
– July 14 – The Stray Birds, 8 p.m., Virginia Thomas Law Center for the Performing Arts;
– July 15 – James Moore Jazz Trio, 8 p.m., Virginia Thomas Law Center for the Performing Arts;
– July 21 – Freya String Quartet, 8 p.m., Wesley Chapel;
– July 24 – Sherezade Panthaki, 8 p.m., Wesley Chapel.
All events are free and open to the public with limited seating. For more information, please call (304) 473-8510.
GSA is a three-week intensive experience for current high school sophomores who exhibit talent in the literary, performing and visual arts. Students attending the GSA are exposed to practicing professionals in their respective fields of writing, dance, music, acting, digital media, drawing and painting.