Man allegedly breaks into business, leaves gun behind


BUCKHANNON — A man who stated he broke into a business over the business because he owed someone money and then left a weapon behind was quickly arrested Sunday by the Upshur County Sheriff’s Department.

Eric Reynolds Rowan, 24, of Buckhannon, was arrested for burglary, a felony, by Deputy Joseph D. Barcus.

On Aug. 11 at approximately 6:45 a.m., Barcus stated he responded to a commercial burglary alarm at 2nd Amendment Supplies in Buckhannon, according to the criminal complaint in the Upshur County Magistrate Clerk’s office. The deputy stated that someone had cut the phone line and knocked two holes in the plywood on the south side of the businesses and entered the business through the small hole. Barcus found a Charter Arms Undercover .38 special lying on the top of a bucket of used brass outside the hole.

The owner of the business arrived and reviewed security footage with Barcus in which a slender male in a camo jacket with gloves on and wielding what appeared to be an AR-15 rifle walked around the front of the business but ducked out of view when a motion sensor light came on, according to the criminal complaint. More footage showed the same man inside the building and the owner stated the bucket had been taken outside by whoever broke in.

Around 9 a.m., Cpl. Marshall O’Connor with the Buckhannon Police Department advised Barcus that Rowan came to the BPD to report a .38 special firearm and AR-15 was stolen from his vehicle overnight.

Rowan was identified by Senior Trooper P.J. Robinette with the Buckhannon detachment of the West Virginia State Police as exiting Cook’s while Barcus and other officers were en route to his residence. Following a traffic stop, Rowan allegedly admitted to Barcus that he broke into the business due to owing someone money and the firearm left at the scene belonged to him.

Magistrate Mike Coffman set bond at $75,000 – $60,000 cash/surety and $15,000 cash only.

If convicted, Rowan faces one to 15 years in the state penitentiary.

In a separate case, Edith Gregory, 28, of Buckhannon, was arrested on several charges after she fled from Deputy Tyler Gordon and locked herself in a bathroom at the Rock Cave IGA Monday.

Gregory had been wanted on an escape charge and a capias after failing to check in to her court-ordered home confinement and missed a hearing. Gregory had been placed on court ordered home confinement July 8 and last reported for a check-in July 11.

On Aug. 12, Gordon responded to the Rock Cave IGA after a receiving a call for service that Gregory was spotted outside the store on a four-wheeler. When Gordon arrived, he ordered Gregory to stay where she was but Gregory attempted to hide between vehicles and then ran towards the IGA where she fled through the store and locked herself in a bathroom, according to the criminal complaint in the Upshur County Magistrate Clerk’s office.

Gordon forcibly entered the bathroom and grabbed Gregory, ordering her to get on the floor, according to the criminal complaint.

Gregory allegedly actively resisted Gordon’s attempts to arrest her for the outstanding warrants of escape and possession of methamphetamine; however, Gordon was able to place her under arrest.

Gregory was arrested for the capias of possession of marijuana, escape or attempting to escape, fleeing on foot and obstructing an officer, all misdemeanors. Magistrate Kay Hurst set bond at $1,500 cash and $7,500 cash or surety.