Two holiday tours in one season
Local residents have an unusual opportunity to experience Christmas as it might have been for a large family growing up in Elkins during the early 20th century.
The advertising for the two events may seems a little confusing, but in fact, there are two houses in Elkins and one in Beverly where Guy and Edna Kump reared their six children. See tour schedules and history below:
Visit Victorian Scott-Kump House 6 to 8 p.m. tonight and Dec. 6 and 7. Pay $20 benefitting: Mountain Hospice, Randolph C. Humane Society, TV Homestead Association, and Randolph County United. See Christmas trees throughout the house, and enjoy wine & cheese.
The next week join us for a Free Holiday Open House at the historic Kump Home 2 to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Dec. 14 and 15.
Tour the first floor where Eleanor Roosevelt visited the Kumps, enjoy 1930s style Christmas decorations by the Emma Scott Garden Club and taste holiday treats. Visit the new Altice Learning Lab and bring children along to engage in activities courtesy of “interact” Children’s Museum. Donations are welcome to support Kump Education Center.
The Victorian Kump home was built by C.H. Scott for his daughter Edna in 1908 on Scott Street behind what is now Davis Electric. In 1908 it was the law office building for C.H. Scott and H.G. Kump.
In the Scott-Kump house visitors may notice Victorian features that are similar to decorative details in the beautiful home with towers on Scott Hill. C.H. and Emma Scott lived on Scott Hill when the Kumps first set up house-keeping downtown on Scott Street. The Kump family could walk to school, the courthouse, B. Weese Store, and convenient local businesses.
Four Kump children were born in the house on Scott Street, but the twins were born at the Davis Memorial Hospital. Cyrus came first in 1908, Frances in 1911, Peggy and Elizabeth in 1913, Mary Gamble in 1915 and Ben in 1918.
In 1919 Guy and Edna bought the 11-acre Goddin farm on Seneca Road, sold the house on Scott Street, and moved their family to Beverly where they lived in her grandparents’ home while their new house was being built on Randolph Avenue.
The new Federalist-style Kump home was a busy place, and all the family members were required to help take care of the house and farm. Church activities, bridge-playing parties, and 4-H meetings often took place at this nieces house on the National Register of Historic places. After one of Guy’s sisters died, they took in nephews and nieces who went to Elkins High and Davis & Elkins College.
H.G. Kump became increasingly active in politics. He was elected prosecuting attorney (1908), then served as one of the “Minuet Men” during World War I. He was elected mayor of Elkins (1921), judge of the Circuit Court (1928), and governor of West Virginia (1932).