Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | Home RSS
 
 
 

Armory project will proceed as normal

December 13, 2012
By Melissa Toothman - Staff Writer (mtoothman@theintermountain.com) , The Inter-Mountain

An archaeological survey conducted in the construction area of the new National Guard Armory in Buckhannon this past weekend did not result in any significant findings.

Because nothing was found in the survey, no additional archaeological tests will be required. City Engineer Jay Hollen said Wednesday that Archaeological Consultants of the Midwest of Wheeling conducted the survey on Friday and Saturday and filed its report Saturday and Monday. Hollen said he received an e-mail from the company Monday night.

"Nothing was found and that's the good news; just as we anticipated it would be," Hollen said, adding that he should see the full report by Friday.

Hollen said ACH recommended to the State Historical Preservation Office that the project be permitted to resume as scheduled. Hollen said he is still anticipating an April 1 start date on the National Guard Armory and convention center project.

"That was the good news. I didn't expect anything different," he said. "If the weather cooperates like it did last year, we'll start earlier once we get an approved permit from the Bureau for Public Health."

Hollen reported at a Buckhannon City Council meeting last week that three potential archaeological sites had been identified on the land designated for the construction of waterlines to the future armory. A Phase I archaeological survey was required at that point before officials could proceed with the U.S. Department of Agriculture's preliminary engineering report and loan application process to fund the project. The process should continue without further delays.

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web