The pie contest will again be featured at the 2013 Jackson's Mill Jubilee. The event is scheduled for the afternoon of Aug. 31, in the Southeast Learning Center. Contestants are invited to enter pies between 2 and 3 p.m.; drive to the pool gate at Jackson's Mill to receive directions to the contest. Judging will begin at 3 p.m., and awards will be given when the judging is complete (tentatively scheduled to be between 4 and 4:30 p.m.). Ribbons and cash prizes will be awarded. Contest participants and visitors may sample the pies following the awards ceremony (4:30 to 5 p.m.).
Contest rules are:
1. Pie fillings must have a West Virginia product (fruit, nut or vegetable) as the main ingredient.
2. Pie fillings must be made from fresh, home-preserved or home-frozen ingredients; commercially canned pie fillings will not be accepted.
3. Crusts must be home-prepared; frozen or other commercially prepared crusts will not be accepted.
4. Custard pies or pies containing any ingredient requiring constant refrigeration (such as cream cheese, whipped topping, etc.) will not be accepted due to lack of refrigeration at the contest site.
5. There will be three divisions: Adult (18 and over)-single crust pie; Adult (18 and over) - double crust pie; Youth division (under age 18) -single or double crust pie.
6. One copy of the recipe used (crust and filling) must be submitted with each pie.
7. An individual contestant may enter up to two pies per category.
8. The decisions of the judges are final.
The contest is sponsored by Jenny Garton Insurance Agency, Inc. in cooperation with the Jackson's Mill Jubilee. The Jenny Garton Agency, which represents State Farm Insurance in Weston, will provide ribbons and cash prizes for winners in each of the three divisions. For additional information, contact Linda Schmidt at firstname.lastname@example.org or 304-269-5755.