Thanks to a $10,000 grant from the Daughters of the American Revolution, the roof is stable on the east face of the historic Kump House in Elkins.
Funding for this project was made possible through the sponsorship of the John Hart Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution.
The NSDAR was founded in 1890 to promote patriotism, preserve American history, and support better education for our nation's children. Its members are descended from the patriots who won American independence during the Revolutionary War. With nearly 170,000 members in approximately 3,000 chapters worldwide, DAR is one of the world's largest and most active service
The Kump Education Center matched the $10,000 grant from the NSDAR to correct a problem that threatened to cause the collapse of one corner of the historic building. Contractor Ed Devine removed and replaced wood in critical locations where water damage was causing walls to buckle. This work was necessary before other work can be done on the property safely.
After the building was made stable, young volunteers from the Appalachian Forest Heritage Area AmeriCorps painted wooden surfaces. Now the shingles are painted dark brown, the porch floor is gray, and the trim is a distinctive "Kump Cream" color.
The NSDAR has made many Special Projects Grants available for restoration of historic buildings like the Kump Education Center. These grants go a long way toward the stabilization and preservation of buildings that are beloved local landmarks in small towns and big cities throughout the U.S.