Kerens man pleads guilty in shooting death of woman

PARSONS — A Randolph County man has pleaded guilty in the 2017 shooting death of Nakeia Moore.

Jason White, 39, of Kerens, was set to stand trial this month but instead entered a guilty plea to second-degree murder Monday in Tucker County Circuit Court. No date for sentencing has been set.

White was arrested in September 2017 in the shooting death of Moore, 33. Police found White at Moore’s Kerens residence the morning after the shooting, when they took her to a local hospital where she succumbed to her injuries, court documents stated.

White was originally charged with one felony count of first-degree murder. According to a criminal complaint filed in Tucker County Magistrate Court, at approximately 5:11 a.m. on the day White was found, Tucker County 911 received a call referencing a woman who had been shot at 905 Pheasant Run Road in Tucker County, near the community of Kerens.

West Virginia State Police Trooper 1st Class J.J. Schmidle, members of the Tucker County EMS and several other law enforcement officers were notified. WVSP Cpl. J.E. Kopec was first on the scene and identified the victim as Moore, who was lying in the residence with a single gunshot wound to her chest, according to court documents. At that time, Moore was unable to identify the individual who shot her, police said. She was transported by EMS to Davis Medical Center, where she was later pronounced dead.

White told officers he discovered Moore in the residence with a gunshot wound and ran next door to call 911, the complaint states. White reportedly told police he was not at the residence when Moore was shot and had not seen anything. Schmidle notes in the report that White is on home confinement and had a GPS monitoring device attached to his ankle.

The day after Moore was found, a witness came forward claiming to have heard a gunshot in the “immediate area of the incident.” Schmidle also was notified by the community corrections program that GPS points for White’s monitoring device placed him at the Pheasant Run Road residence at the time of the shooting, according to the complaint.

A second witness was identified at the scene of the shooting. When law enforcement interviewed that witness, the person said White and Moore had been “up arguing all night.” The witness added the arguing “started to escalate” and the witness left, leaving only White and Moore at the home. The witness was “no more than 10 feet from the residence when a gun shot was heard,” the complaint states. The witness said White came out of the residence and said to get help.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)

Starting at $4.39/week.

Subscribe Today