Elkins man charged in shooting death

The Inter-Mountain photo by Edgar Kelley Heath Coberly was taken into custody at his home on South Kerens Avenue, where police have the residence taped off.

ELKINS — A Randolph County man has been arrested and charged with first degree homicide after a shooting incident that occurred in the South Elkins area late Thursday night.

Heath Coberly, 48, of Elkins, was taken into custody and charged early Friday morning after police tracked him down approximately an hour after finding Timothy Slayton, 41, suffering from multiple gunshot wounds at a Whiteman Avenue residence, according to the criminal complaint.

Witnesses inside the home said they had heard gun shots and then someone knocking at the door, the criminal complaint reads. Slayton was discovered leaning against the door and told the witnesses that he had been shot.

Slayton was moved into the residence and officers with the Elkins Police Department provided medical aid to him until Randolph County Emergency Medical Services arrived on the scene, the criminal complaint states. He was then transported to Davis Medical Center, where he died shortly after arriving.

Officers at the scene spoke with witnesses who said a gray truck was parked nearby and left the scene shortly before law enforcement arrived, the police report states. While speaking to a family member of Slayton, police learned that approximately a week ago Credibly had allegedly threatened Stanley with a firearm.

At approximately 1:03 a.m. Friday, Coberly was taken into custody at his residence on South Kerens Avenue, according to the complaint. While there, officers observed a vehicle matching the description of the one that fled the scene. Officers also located a spent shell casing on the front seat.

While on scene, officers learned that Coberly had called police with questions, the report states. Upon returning the call, officers spoke with Coberly, who said he was inside the home. Coberly came out of the residence and was detained by police.

Following a mirandized interview with Coberly, he allegedly admitted to willfully traveling to Slayton’s location and confessed to shooting him. Coberly is being held in the Tygart Valley Regional Jail without bond.

“I would like to thank the West Virginia State Police, Randolph County Sheriff’s Department, the Randolph County Prosecutors Office, and the Randolph County EMS for their assistance,” Elkins Police Chief Travis Bennett said. “As this is an ongoing investigation, we are not able to release additional information at this time.”

On Friday afternoon, Coberly was charged with transporting controlled substances into jail.

According to the criminal complaint, Coberly was discovered attempting to bring a cylinder containing pills into TVRJ. The pills were “consistent with buprenorphine hydrochloride 8mg which is classified as a schedule III controlled substance.”


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $3.92/week.

Subscribe Today