Man arrested after two-hour standoff with police


BUCKHANNON — A man who allegedly held a knife to his own head leading to a two-hour standoff with law enforcement that ended peacefully is facing charges.

The incident began about 6:45 p.m. Saturday when a man later identified as Mark Frazier, 47, of New Martinsville, flagged Sgt. Tom Posey with the Buckhannon Police Department down on Florida Street in front of the Stockert Youth and Community basketball court, according to Chief Matt Gregory.

Posey was patrolling alone when he encountered Frazier, who told the officer that he needed help.

“Tom pulled off the side of the road to help him at which point Mr. Frazier pulled a knife out and held it to his own head,” Gregory said.

Posey then called for help and was assisted by officers from the Upshur County Sheriff’s Department and West Virginia State Police. The Buckhannon Fire Department also assisted in blocking off streets. Upshur County EMS also staged a block away.

“Our concern from the outset was safety for him, for ourselves as well as for the public,” the police chief said.

Frazier had moved from Florida Street to Traders Alley and it was decided to shut down the streets around Florida Street and Traders, police said

“He was armed the whole time with the knives,” Gregory said. “At one point he had two knives out.”

Gregory also responded to assist.

“When I got there, I came up Milkman Lane and he was behind the church pacing around,” Gregory said. “When he saw me he went back towards Florida Street.”

Gregory said that Cpl. Tyler Gordon from the UCSD developed a rapport with Frazier and was able to keep talking to him until the incident ended about 9 p.m.

“He finally gave up the knives,” Gregory said.

“He ended up surrendering the weapons peacefully and went willingly to UHC for treatment. That was his request. He was subsequently treated and released the next day.

“We explored the mental hygiene option but that did not pan out and we obtained warrants for brandishing and obstructing.”

Gregory said that Bridgeport Police arrested Frazier on Sunday on the two warrants from the incident after he was released from the hospital.

Frazier has a New Martinsville address but had been in the Buckhannon area off and on for the last couple years, said.

The Upshur County Magistrate Court arraigned Frazier after the courthouse closed Monday but he is being housed in the North Central Regional Jail on a $3,000 bond, according to information from the Regional Jail Authority website.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)

Starting at $4.39/week.

Subscribe Today